The History of the Château
The origin of Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande dates back to the end of the 18th century when the Château's wooded park gave it its name: "Bel Orme".
Designed in 1750 by Victor Louis, the famous architect of the Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux, it was not until the 19th century that the Tronquoy-de-Lalande family gave its first letters of nobility to the vineyard which then became "Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande".
In 1936, as a wedding present by her husband, Paul Quié, Lucienne was to choose between two properties: Château Pichon Baron, a famous 1855 classified Grand Cru, or Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande, a modest Cru Bourgeois from the Haut-Médoc appellation. Charmed by the beautiful manor house overlooking the Gironde estuary, she elected Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande. Sitting on the heights of the village of Saint-Seurin-de-Cadourne, this haven of peace is still today the new generation's family home.
In 1968, when his father died, Jean-Michel was only 24 years old when he took over the command of the wine estate. Under the influence of this man of character and conviction, the property underwent a vast renovation and modernisation programme. Inspired by the same passion as his father and aware of these soils' potential, he undertook the vineyard's complete restructuring with a precise and adapted grapevine selection. This visionary at heart is perpetuating his father's work, whose aim has always been to improve his wines' quality and complexity.
In 2000, his children, Anne-Françoise and Jean-Philippe, decided to take part in the family wine heritage. For 20 years now, alongside their older brother Paul-Henri, an architect by training, they have pursued the evolution of the Château. In 2012, a whole new focus generated a new prospective approach. Château Rauzan-Gassies and Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande, which had been very discreet until then, unite their destiny. From then on, the estate took on a whole new dynamic. Like its illustrious elder, the third generation of the family perpetuates the groundwork laid by previous generations and commits the wine estate to ecologically sound agriculture to pass on this living heritage.
Located on the river's bank in the Médoc marshlands, this green setting is a Natura 2000 site due to its rich biodiversity.
These sites are designed to protect a certain number of species and habitats by improving vineyard management.
To contribute to this richness, Château Bel Orme Tronquoy-de-Lalande has selected and implemented plant materials to maintain the local fauna and flora's habitat. Areas of marshland and woodlands with endemic plant species and habitat for wildlife have been preserved and hedges are maintained and replanted. Fully committed to this environmental cause, the Château also lends its meadows to a breeder of Blondes d'Aquitaine cattle who happily share the pasture. In return for this provision, the vineyard benefits from natural manure fertiliser. The Château's 30-hectare vineyard extends over the most beautiful hillsides of the village of Saint-Seurin-de-Cadourne. Today, its vine population is composed of 65% merlot and 35% cabernet sauvignon. Worked according to virtuous agriculture, each parcel, depending on its soil, age, grape variety or rootstock, benefits from specific soil tillage adapted to its requirements.
Thanks to the clay soils' freshness, Château Bel Orme's merlot is round, with vivid, acidic and truly savoury fruit. Dryer, draining soils allow the cabernet sauvignon to reach optimal maturity, with its ripe, velvety and silky tannins, the authentic signature of the Haut-Médoc wines.